Random Workplace Quotes

Pingates

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

On God's Time

In an article way back I wrote on the subject of being called to the workplace I stated that I wouldn't write about the basic things of the Christian life. I had stated that I felt these things were sure to be part of a believer's character and not something we should work on.

But on further examination I have seen a lack of these qualities in many true believers including myself. In this post I would like to offer some hint of the way we should conduct ourselves in the workplace. So that we may not damage the witness we desire to be. The one thing that never ceases to amaze me is how a believer who is trying to please God and witness to his co-workers can habitually show up for work late. Employees and employers know that this will sometimes happen, but I have noticed that some Christians make a habit of dragging in late almost everyday. You can rely on them always to be there, but in their own time. I had one older brother tell me years ago that when he was younger his boss started work at a certain time but had him coming in 30 minutes earlier. When he asked his boss why, he answered that he could count on one thing about him. That was that he would be late everyday at least 30 minutes. That put him at work on time.

Do we seriously believe the Lord is pleased with this attitude? How would we feel if all of our prayers and blessings from God where always late. Our witness of God would be like this: "My God answers prayers all the time. Always late, but hey, better late than never. Right?"

This attitude of serving our employer at our own pace usually spills over into the church. I find it easy to make it late to services. Surely it's different than work, I don't get paid to go to Church (Or do I?) But lately I've seen that it's not a matter of distraction that keeps us tardy but an attitude that we're get there when we get there. The whole world moves around us and "if " we make it at all, those waiting should count themselves blessed that we did.

I cannot picture the Lord Jesus as being late for anything. He was accused of being late for Lazarus but they found out different. God the Father told Him to wait on arriving in Bethany, but I'm sure He was never late getting to the carpenter shop or the synagogue. The whole life of Christ was spent being on God the Father's time and not His own. If we are to walk as Christ walked, should we also live our lives on God's time and not our own?

And remember; "Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eye-service, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God. And whatever you do, do it as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve (work for) the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:22-24

August 10, 2001

No comments: