Random Workplace Quotes

Pingates

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Blue Collar Commentary on Romans 1:1

Romans 1:1 Paul uses the titles Bondservant (NCV) and Apostle. He only used this combination once more in the book of Titus. In Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Colossians and Timothy he uses Apostle and in Philippians he uses Bondservant. In Philemon he uses prisoner. And he uses neither in Thessalonians. There may be nothing special about these usages but we can see a principal here that illustrates a concept we can use. Note that in the KJV bondservant is translated as just “servant”. A bondservant is a slave that is bought totally and owns nothing and has no rights except what his or her master allows. In verse one of Romans Bondservant or servant is used before the title “Apostle”. This illustrates how we should be found faithful as a servant before our calling wether Apostle, Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor and Teacher (Eph. 4:11) can be proved. Some receive their calling at an early time but do not move into it until they are trained by God in that calling. Whether schooling of just hard knocks. The whole experience of being a servant can be all the training we need. Moses and David’s life as a Shepherd helped in their calling as leaders of God’s Chosen. So we must be found faithful as a servant before the Lord uses us elsewhere. Joseph would never had risen as head of Potipher’s household if he had never been faithful as a servant. He would never had became lead trustee in the prison if he had not submitted and become the model prisoner. Some may yell, “I am not a slave but a friend of Jesus.” Quoting from John 15:11-15. Even so we must be found faithful even to be a friend. At one company I had worked at years ago after working as hard as I could I became good friends with the owner. Then after some time I became lax in my work as I became comfortable in my position. Just as many long timers in some companies. Soon my friendship with the owner became strained and I lost my job and my friend. Even being a friend of Jesus according to the Bible means that you obey His commands. So this relationship is a joyous servant/friend relationship. Some may not because they don’t feel they are called to anything. I believe that all of us are called to a ministry. And when we are ready the Lord will move us into it. For the benefit of the Church and His Kingdom.

No comments: