Random Workplace Quotes

Pingates

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

J. B. Phillips on Missionaries


In the book, “The Church Under the Cross” in 1956 on page xi, J.B. Phillips wrote,“I have never been a missionary myself, though that was long my heart’s desire, but I grasp with both hands the opportunity of paying tribute to this magnificent, unadvertised army. I know many missionaries personally, and at summer schools and elsewhere I have met many more. I believe there is no body of people who deserve our respect, our admiration and our support. It should not be a spiritual chore but a high privilege to support these front-line warriors with our prayers. I confess that I am often outraged by the world’s treatment of such committed, dedicated lives. Nothing is more easy than for a novelist or playwright to jeer at the “simple” missionary, or to build his own success upon the theme of a lonely missionary who “goes wrong.” I grow very weary of disparaging remarks about missionaries made by men who are not fit to black their boots. Now I would challenge all those who sit comfortably at home and disparage the work of the missionaries and jeer at “native Christians”. What have they ever done to win a single person from darkness to light?”  

No comments: