Random Workplace Quotes

Pingates

Monday, February 04, 2008

Black History Month - Part 1

This being black history month. I hope to do some post on some of my black heroes. Being a white southerner this may be strange to some, but it should not be. There were (is) some really smart and real black people in history that really made a difference.

Watch for these post in the next couple of weeks as I gather my information.

My interest in this subject started years ago. In the Wiregrass area we have the "Peanut Festival" once a year. Back in the early '90's I noticed that there wasn't much acknowledgment to Dr. George Washington Carver. The brilliant scientist that discovered the many uses of the peanut. Making it the cash crop for our area after the attack of the boweavel on cotton crops. Almost ruining the south's economy.
Being a street minister at the time and needing a good tract to pass out, I wrote a tract on Dr. Carver and his belief in God as it's message. People took the tract and some teachers asked for more to give their students. By the next year there were floats honoring this black gentleman.
And now we have a small museum for him here is Dothan. Men like this are worthy of acknowledgment.

I hope to share more on Him and others of the black race that I have come to admire.

No comments: