Random Workplace Quotes

Pingates

Sunday, October 28, 2007

My Dad's Death

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints." Psalms 116:15

Last week my Dad died. Thursday morning Oct. 18, 2007. After being taken to the hospital he had another heart attack. After quite a few flat lines and being revived we decided not to postpone the inevitable.
He had been ready for this event for a long time. He was operating on only 20% of his heart with one artery in and one out. Before when he would have a heart attack, he told me that the doctor would tell him that he did not have much to work with and that next time they my not be able to revive him. He would reply with,"I know were I am going, how about you." His life was full of good fruit, showing what was inside.
The preachers gave a good service but neglected to explain, why my dad was the way he was. Jesus! I believe if my Dad had been there he would have stood up and yelled, "Preach Jesus, Not me!" Instead it was left to the Holy Spirit to reveal to each one there the answer to the question. And maybe that was the best way.
The funeral and burial were the first I had attended of someone really close. It was marked with peace and assurance that He was doing fine. I could not touch his body or even speak to it. I could not see it as him. The old saying kept coming to mind, "Here lies the shell, the real nut is gone."
The comfort that he was with the Lord and that one day we who believed would see him again was very real. I was given my Dad's bible and this passage was marked, "Be careful for nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
Those who do not believe have no way of knowing this peace that passes their understanding. They know that there is something more. That's why they invade christian web forums and post comments on Christian sites. That's why they spend their energies raving about Christians instead of improving themselves to herald the next evolution of mankind. They know that there is more.
My Dad once was a believer, now he is a knower. We cry no more for him although we miss him. There is a void left in us because of his death. But have peace there is One who can fill the void. His name is Jesus.
After the funeral I realized that I had never said good-bye or that I loved him. The Lord revealed to me that he (my Dad) was plunged into the very Source of our spirituality and when we prayed in the Holy Spirit my Dad would receive the prayer also. What the Lord knew, my Dad knew.
God is so good. How can I ever accept a belief that reduces us to animals with out any real evidence and forsake a God that shows us the truth. In life and death.

In memory of Franklin Morris Brooks husband of Bettie Maxine Duke. Son of Oscar Morris Brooks and Ira Blankinship. Father of Franklin, Curtis, Wayne and Bucky Brooks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Time of Sorrow

May you see God's light on the path ahead
When the road you walk is dark.
May you always hear,
Even in your hour of sorrow,
The gentle singing of the lark.

When times are hard may hardness
Not turn your heart to stone,
And may you always remember
You do not walk alone.